or Connect

Posts by Ritz

What you might try is putting out smelly food like fish, warmed up slightly, and set it by her. Back away a fair distance, but close enough that she can see/smell you. Wait to see if she comes out within a reasonable time. If not, leave and go on your way. Repeat often Also note that some very friendly cats may not eat for 12+ hours if in a new environment. I recently bought in Hercules, a cat I TRNd in May 2012 and one I've seen and been feeding off and on since...
Sorry just getting back to this. Re: cooked egg yolk. Laziness. I eat a fair amount of egg whites for protein so gave Ritz 1/2 a cooked egg yolk when she was particularly hungry. I'll start giving her raw egg. I too have always assumed it was an acid ingestion issue. I have given her freeze dried/dehyradated treats, waited five minutes, and then feed her dinner. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Interestingly enough, the blood work that the holisitc vet did showed...
Thanks. She didn't make a sound last night. She is still friendly, but not as frantically so. He will lay in my lap, belly side up and purr while I am petting her. Sometimes give love bites. I have posted on Craig's list and another found cat site. And will post a notice on the condo buildings near she hangs out. If I (well, Ritz) decide to adopt Hercules, I want to do so in good conscious.
My feral/stray cats made it through the first really cold spell; they were all at the feeding station waiting for me. It snowed last night, I am hoping at least two of them sought refuge in the winter shelter.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if he has another caretaker, but if so I'm not too impressed by the caretaker: no cat should be left outside in this weather. But yes, were the roles reversed, I'd be worried. It is something I struggle with. I am reminded of "Petey", another cat who we removed from the colony to socialize. Definitely previously owned, the owner moved and left his cat behind. Petey could not get enough loving, but once adopted into a furever home...
I don't have much knowledge about what is normal in a cat, especially male cats. Ritz is my first cat ever and female. I've done a lot of TNing but never socialized a cat on my own. Hercules has always been inordinately friendly, especially for a stray/dumped cat. At the cat colony, he would routinely climb on my lap and scent mark me all around. About six months after I TNRd him, he showed up at the colony with a chunk of fur missing around the side of the neck area...
I feed prey model raw, also known as Frankenprey. She's been on raw for about three years. She eats fast, wants more food including treats, then throws up. She wants to eat immediately after she eats (she would eat what she threw up if I let her), and keeps that food down. Because I feed prey model raw, I can clearly see what she threw up, i.e., if it is light, it is pork; if it is dark, beef. She rarely throws up a hairball, though interestingly enough I just started...
I am dealing with several feral/stray cats (all TNRd several years ago). I put down new straw in the winter shelter, I hope it's enough. Two cats use it regularly. There are single family dwellings on top of the hill along with some run down sheds. I hope there is an opening in them that the cats can at least get out of the wind. (If a cat can fit its head in a hole, he can fit his entire body. That's how Ritz survived a 20" snow storm.) There is a cat with a bum paw...
Ritz is due for a wellness check, and has persistent vomiting, about two times a week. Seems to be related to how many hours she goes without eating. She also seems to be hungry all of the time, and has some FHS symptoms. The vet I've been taking Ritz to (lovely bedside manner) does not support raw feeding. So I took Ritz to a holistic vet; she is part of a 'regular' practice, has limited hours. The practice has one door for cats, and one for dogs. She took me on...
Could you tie a colored string around their neck?