or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Ritz lost most of a claw due to a battle with a carton of eggs in a plastic bag, not nearly as bad as your cat's. I watched for signs of infection. And the claw grew back in about two weeks. I did keep the claw as a souvenir-and made sure to keep plastic bags away from inquiring minds,.
It's quite possible; a number of raw feeders also feed canned wet food for a variety of reasons. I think there is a thread that addresses this, though I can't find it of course! I would do the math for what amounts you would feed were you doing 100% raw, and then half it. If you do the calculations based on weekly (versus daily) total, that is fine--and won't drive you crazy! Alternatively, you could feed canned three days, raw three days, and half and half the seventh...
I did not use any of the transition techniques recommended. I jumped from Fancy feast classic to Primal. She ate it without hesitation. Switched back and for among commercial brands. Around this time other things were happening, including house related repairs. That combined with new food--and a cat who is by nature anxious, led I believe to urinary tract infection. The raw did cause the uti, I did. At least that's my opinion.
Ritz pees about once a day, sometimes twice a day. I've been feeding prey model raw (frakenprey) for almost three years. She was fixated on Fancy Feast Classic seafood before I transitioned her (a little too abruptly as it turned out). She is prone to stress induced UTIs, and continues to have minor problems. Now, if she doesn't pee in 36 to 48 hours, then I get worries. That's happened twice in the past two months--she peed and pooped just not in the litter box..... ...
Oh what good news! "legal ownership" depends upon the country/city/county you live in. Some cities/counties in the USA say, if you feed the cat, you own the cat, so you are responsible for care, etc., including potential law suits if the cat bit a neighbor. Some cities/counties have taken a more enlightened approach and either don't say one way or the other or say, you're not legal responsible. In some jurisdictions, it is illegal to let an unfixed cat roam outside--but...
Yes, I noticed that, wonder how long the sale lasts-- and I JUST GOT A FREEZER. Here is a thread I need to read again about rabbit fur and all.
I don't know much about pregnant cats, but based on this article, eight days to be producing milk is a long time. Are you sure it's milk and not colostrum? Here is a thread about milk. Do you have ANY idea when she became pregnant? Is she showing any other signs of impending delivery? What does the vet say?
I am cheap, don't like to spend any more money than I absolutely have to, so have held out buying a freezer. Some were too big. And I was concerned that my townhouse didn't have enough electrical load to support a freezer. So far so good. And Ritz took to raw feeding right away. I started her on Primal to see if she would recognize raw food as, well food. She did, and I eventually moved to prey model raw because it suits my lifestyle more.
I would again clean thoroughly the chair and other places she peed in--whether she is in heat or not. Unfixed male cats urine is very very smelly strong; I don't know if the same is true to female cats. Also remember that cats can smell what humans never can. And get another litter box--they are inexpensive enough.
Is the litter box scrupulously clean? And how many litter boxes do you have? I recently ran into a problem with Ritz peeing outside the litter box, in the first case, in the next room, in the 2nd case, same room, as her litter box. Turned out she was really bothered by the smells surrounding the litter box (pee pad). I'm glad your friend is taking her to the vets; the dark pee worries me. So does the big belly.