or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Thanks. I know the s/n vet won't s/n if she has any health concerns when dealing with a non-feral cat or dog (unless it is a true emergency, like infection of the uterus). She declined to spay a feral kitten because it had a slight URI, and the rescue group indicated the kitten was fairly easy to retrap. Proactively, I have made an appointment with my vet for tomorrow afternoon. I doubt seriously that Dahalia has had any of her kitten shots, including...
I rescued a cat from the sidewalk on Sunday near the community cat colony that I take care of. Initially thought female based on her private parts but now leaning more towards male based on body length (LONG) and personality (extremely friendly, cuddly, no fear of humans). S/he is anywhere from three to six months old, *underweight though over two pounds*, and her claws long enough to need clipping (OUCH!). Immediately knew how to use the litter box. Eating, what...
I'm shooting for an average of 30% fat; but Ritz needs to watch her girlish figure
I frequently mix proteins on the same day. If I am feeding a very low fat protein (rabbit, chicken breast) then I also mix it with a relatively high fat protein like lamb.I've read that too, and I don't have the scientific rebuff but the way I reason it is, I have to be practical and cost conscious. Turkey is rarely on sale where I live (50% off due to the meat being at or near its 'sell by' date) and rabbit is always expensive where I live. OTOH, while I could feed...
The numbers cited are making my head spin but my first thought is: personally, I would feed a whole meal of heart but would never feed the same quantity of liver or lung. So on a per kilogram/pound basis, the liver/lung might have more taurine, but as a practical matter, I'll stick with hearts or dark meat.
Thanks, what a neat set up! I have a really good handyman (who also has a cat), so may show him these pictures and see if he can build/something like this. I've been wanting to repaint the kitchen, too.
Thanks. Gave me some good ideas for the "guarding the kitchen" problem I'm having with Hercules (Ritz hides under the table, won't pass by Hercules).
Thanks for your reassurance and suggestions. Yeah, I suspected it would take a long time, though actually, them co-existing without supervision took quicker than I thought. Tried Feliway, including the relatively new version for a multi-cat household, Bach's Rescue Remedy and Jackson's Rescue Remedy, didn't help at all. I tried l-theanine shortly after Ritz recovered from a stress-induced UTI; I may try that again. I have used an animal communicator with Ritz several...
Bottom line question: is there a way I can convince Ritz that Hercules isn't really guarding the kitchen entrance, prepared to pounce? Background: Hercules, male, neutered; Ritz, female, spayed. Roughly same age (six). Ritz rescued when she was around four to six months old; Hercules dumped sometime, perhaps as long as three years ago. I TNRd him in May 2012, always super friendly. Based on weight and professional sutured wound (not be me!), he had several...
I brought in Hercules who had been living on the streets for around two years, but, based on his weight and behavior, was being fed by more than one person. He was part of the community cat colony I took care of, and probably ate canned food, dry food and the occasional bird, rodent and squirrel. He had diarrhea (smelly) the first week, which I treated with the appropriate medication. I continued to fed him high quality canned, and then about a month later, transitioned...