or Connect

Posts by Ritz

This seems like a good plan. I can't do the math, but my only concern is once your cats are eating more than 15% raw, you need to balance out the raw meat with bone, liver and a secreting organ like kidney. At 1.5 oz, depending on total amount of other food your cats are then eating, I think you'll definitely have to do some balancing. As a treat, you might try giving each of them a piece of liver and kidney. Try it plain or mixed in with the wet food. You'll get an...
Welcome to The Cat Site and The Raw Side If I understand correctly, your cats have hunted and presumably eaten at least some of their own food. If that is the case, I would first cut out the kibble entirely and substitute wet food and add some raw food. Try for 15% or less raw food for a few days (and more than 15% and you have to balance with organs and bone). See how it goes. If they leave the wet food and beg for raw, well then, increase the raw food to about 50%...
The rule of thumb for cats is 80% meat/poultry, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% secreting organ like kidney.
Amazon has the freeze dried stuff. Also regarding treats, the ones for dogs are, like the ones for cats, made with 100% freeze dried meats. I buy the ones for dogs, I think they are cheaper.
Have you checked out Hare Today? They have Alnutrin supplements. "Ingredients: Egg yolk powder, calcium carbonate, taurine, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, vitamin E, iron amino acid chelate, copper gluconate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc oxide, potassium iodide, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, thiamine hydrochloride. Contains no preservatives, sugar, yeast, starch, artificial flavors or colors. * * * Manufactured in Arizona." Hare Today's customer service...
Agree with indebtedness. Need to know weight of organs and you need to do percentage calculations. Regarding bone, you can feed egg shell instead. Some excellent threads about that too .
I think you should go with your gut, which is telling you that this lady has too many things going on in her life and she is not a suitable suit for this/these cats. Or she is just full of excuses and taking the passive aggressive way of changing her mind. The last thing a cat needs, especially a semi-feral/socialized cat, is to go into a somewhat chaotic house. Good luck in finding a home, been there.
Thank you for taking care of this cat colony. The way I figure it (and, this is only my opinion), at this time of year, outdoor cats need all the calories they can consume. So if they dumpster dive, that's okay--especially since I can only feed them three times a week. COOKED bones are a big no-no; throw them away or take them with you. Otherwise, I think any food is fair game--cats have a much better smeller than humans and can usually tell if a food is tainted.
I think she is smelling the inside of your nose. Ritz does that sometimes thought only long enough to ascertain whether the smell is interesting, food related Maybe that area has some other scents on it too.
I see where you're coming from. This is my thought perhaps from the "someone" side. I feed a community cat colony, two different locations, about 1/4 mile apart (apartment/condo buildings). I TNRd "Hercules" in May 2012. He usually hung out at the 1st location, but later moved to the 2nd location probably due to food issues. He is usually the only cat at the 2nd location. He is inordinately friendly for a stray/feral cat, always head butts me, I can pet him a lot. He...