or Connect

Posts by Ritz

I believe it use to be thought that you should avoid feeding fish to cats, especially male cats, because of the UTI/heavy metal issue. I think that is no longer the case (assuming no prior history of a UTI.) So I wouldn't worry so much about bonito flakes causing a UTI; I would be more concerned about whether he is getting enough of the other nutrients he needs.
First thank you for thinking of the cats. Generally, cats go where the food is; cats will go several streets over if necessary. If your neighbor is just down the same street, then I think the cats will soon find their way to the food. Remember too cats will go "as the crow flies"; in other words, the new location may be a few streets away, but there may be a more direct route via woods, around houses, across fields. I feed cats in two different locations, about 1/4...
I'm sorry you're having problems with this sweety. Two weeks ago, I rescued Dahalia from under a car where I use to live. She drank a LOT of water, ate little, peed small amounts frequently. I mentioned it to the clinic where I was going to have her spayed (I volunteer for the parent organization); they did a pre-anesthesia blood work, which should some elevated numbers, particularly BUN and Phosphorus. Recommended a complete CHEM test and urinalysis--possible kidney...
I am actually in a similar position. I do think you can spread yourself too thin among cats, especially when you are first trying to socialize them. One of the reasons I ended up 'fostering' Ritz was so her rescuer could spend more time with the other three she rescued (same litter). Depends upon the shelter in so far as how they will be treated. Make sure it is a truly no-kill shelter, that the shelter will keep the kitten/cat until she/he is adopted out or dies a...
I agree. Dahalia, the female kitten I rescued from under a car and am fostering, weighs 3.4 pounds and is around six months old. (Previously owned; super friendly) She ate very little the first five days and drank a lot of water. But she is now starting to eat more canned food when mixed with dry food. I have no hesitation giving her dry food in this case (nor does her vet) even though initial blood work indicated potentially serious problems with her kidneys. While...
I agree with the above suggestions. I have a few of my own; Ritz is prone to stress induced UTIs and these have helped. She hasn't had an incident in over two years, despite my fostering a cat and now a kitten. Do you have Feliway plugged in? You can buy it in most any pet store; it is cheaper online. I also have used l-theanine, which is a calming agent. It is an ingredient found in calming treats. Play time can also reduce stress, if your cat likes to play. Ritz...
Another Update: Dahalia had a more complete blood work up Saturday, July 11, and her levels are much better. Her BUN is now normal as is her phosphorus. CPK is a little elevated and there are some other abnormal levels but the vet isn't concerned. Urinalysis is normal as it was ten days ago. And she is now eating much better--especially since I discovered that she may have been holding out for the "good" stuff--dry food. I am now mixing some dry kibble into the wet...
Yes, cats are 'suppose' to eat according to hunger. However, sometimes if a cat was homeless and didn't know whether or when her next meal was coming from (if at all), she will overeat. And then if/when she finds a home, the trend will continue until she feels safe and secure that she will always have enough food.
You can tell a lot about the poop of your roommate , especially what they have just eaten. That is why, for example, dogs sniff each others' tails/butts. Now, if your cat(s) decide to EAT the others' poop, I would be concerned.
Update. Dahalia is female, around five months old, weighs 3.5 pounds; overall in good condition. @CatPack was right: the clinic recommended holding off on spaying until Dahalia gets more use to where she is now, nd regain her appetite and make sure her kidneys are okay. The blood work showed something was up with her kidneys, and I took her to my vet right after I got the results. Her BUN is 91 (normal 10-30) but the vet is more concerned about her phos level (10.0,...