or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Yeah, it struck me that the vet's daughter got salmonella--but that your vet was still open to the idea of feeding raw. I have almost always bought my meat from the grocery store, and when I can, at it's sell-by date @ 30 to 50% off. Never had a problem. Ritz is prone to stress induced UTIs, and am glad I feed her prey model raw (frankenprey). The vet doesn't terribly like that I fed her raw, but he certainly compliments Ritz on what a fine coat of fur she has!
I fed frankenprey/prey model raw. I agree with all the other posters in so far as pros/cons. My situation might be somewhat different because I have only one cat and while her poop has always been normal she is a puker. I've learned that she cannot handle red or strongly flavored meat if she has not eaten for more than 8 or 10 hours (work schedule). With frankenprey, I can mix proteins in the same day: dark meat like beef and bone in the morning, and white meat in...
Of all things, pumpkin seeds. In a conversation I had with a woman who owns a large commercial garden/nursery, all organic, she mentioned pumpkin seeds. I assume raw/dried ones are okay (not smoked, of course). You can also put diatomaceous earth (food grade, not swimming pool) in their food (when they are super hungry, doesn't taste too good but perfectly edible) and where they hang out. This works better with...
Oh thank you for taking care of these little ones. You seem to be on the right track, have the right instincts. I would continue building trust by feeding them. See if you can engage them in play--a feather at the end of a wand is ideal. If they go onto a flat surface like cement, you can try rolling a ball with a bell in it, a lot of kittens love that. And see how they tolerate being brushed lightly with a feather. The goal of course is for them not to be afraid of...
I aplogize for not reading your thread more carefully. I kind of experimented with Ritz, my first cat ever. I learned that Ritz doesn't like sisal or the carboard type of cat scratchers, and she does like carpet or occasionally bark. I have a cat tree that has sisal, carpet and bark, as well as a cat toy; she ignored the cat toy. Sisal and carboard scratchers are relatively cheap. For carpet you could try getting a sample from a Home Depot type of store.
Yeah, it all looks the same to me too. If it is on sale, I buy the kind that is already cut up, I think it's called stewing beef. Work those jaw muscles, girl! I avoid bone-in beef unless it is marked 50% off (at its 'sell by' date): I don't like paying for bone I have to simply throw away.
Thanks, this helps a lot. These cats have been spayed/neutered. These cats largely live/stay in the woods or under people's cars (condo complex). I can sprinkle DE around the feeding area which is behind the dumpster. I thought Capstar was a one-time application only; it kills the fleas on the fur but not the ova? As for worms, these cats dumpster dive, hunt and probably drink contaminated water (giarda), so I imagine an 'all purpose' dewormer would be best.
Welcome. One or two cats in my small community cat colony have what I suspect is a flea allergy. I can't get close enough to them to put on Frontline or similar medication. I tried putting DE in their food, they didn't touch it. I was helping a woman feed feral cat colonies in Athens (Greece) and she indicated they (Nine Lives) put some type of medication in the cats' food which kept the fleas well under control. Do you have any suggestions for medications that are easy...
I don't see any downside to giving an elderly cat a Glucosamine and chondroitin supplement for joint pain; most add Methylsulphonylmethane to the pill. I do not know how effective it is for any other conditions. Note that according to my human nutritionist (who has two cats), these supplements must be in the sulfate form, not HCI form. I use this one for myself. A human grade form of this supplement is fine, you don't have to get one specifically marketed for...
Welcome to The Raw Site and The Cat Site. There are a number of articles here that might help you. I take it you want to grind your food, as opposed to whole prey or prey model raw. Some members buy a supplement to add to their ground food to ensure nutritional adequacy (same link as above). You have to be careful not to include too much bone because the cat could get constipated. Regarding bacteria, I personally wouldn't worry. And finally, regarding your question...