or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Welcome to The Cat Site. If a cat's diet is comprised of more than 10% raw, you really do need to measure out his food. But you can do it on a weekly basis; in other words, I don't measure .25 oz of liver every day to give to Ritz. When doing one week's worth of food, I weigh 1.75 oz of liver and divide it by seven (eye ball it). There are lots of web sites that help you figure out how much food/organs/bone to feed cats, and take into account whether the cat is a...
Sounds like it; certainly nine months is old enough. Another tell-tail [sic] sign is: does she stick her butt into the air.? Is she even more cuddly, needy than usual. If nothing else has changed, then, yeah, she might be going into heat--with the caveat that any change of behavior can be a sign of illness. FYI, I was co-fostering a cat who cycled in and out of heat about every week (or so it seemed). She lost a lot of weight and developed some skin allergies before we...
I am so sorry about the loss of your cat. FIP is a horrible disease. There is some thought that FIP is genetic. Frankly, I wouldn't get another cat from the same breeder, but that's just me. (Well, actually, I'd bypass breeders and go straight to a rescue group/cat sanctuary/SPCA.) I would call the breeder and let them know about the cat having FIP. Good luck.
The ASPCA has a website dealing with death of pets. They also have a grief counseling telephone service for people who are considering euthanasia as well as handling the death of a furball. I've read good things about them. They might have a list of vets who do in-home euthanasia. My twin sister had a vet come to her house for Lovey (small dog) when it was her time. As I will do when it is Ritz' time.
She may be a "roaming romeo", visiting several houses and being fed by cat lovers. Or a good hunter! Hercules is like that--weight always good, extraordinarily friendly for a stray. I TNRd him in May 2012, lived outside for some times ever since and continued to fed him when I saw him. In mid February I decided to take him home because he'd been left outside again in the bitter cold. (Posted notices "FOUND CAT" and on line; no one called.) Doing well, in spite of...
Ritz has FHS. About two years ago in January 2013 her symptoms increased dramatically after she had Rabies and FCV/FPV/FPR (cold) vaccinations. I took a video and showed it to the vet, who agreed Ritz had FHS. I put her on Prozac (liquid, flavored), starting at 1 (?) ml, then reduced it to around .7, then weaned her off of Prozac entirely. It had some bad side effects (she just wasn't herself and slept a lot) and it didn't really help her symptoms all that much. The...
If your cat will tolerate it: wet his paws with cool water/wash cloth. Similar to humans, cats expand their heat through their paws. (Humans lose around 10% of their body heat through their heads and hands, which is why your Mother kept on telling you to wear a hat and gloves.) You can also try to arrange a bowl of ice in front of a blowing fan--Ritz wouldn't tolerate either....
Sorry it's taken so long for you to get an answer. I fed prey model raw, based on 2% of Ritz body weight. But Ritz is an adult and I started feeding her raw when she was an adult, i.e., over one year old. Yes I've heard that kittens should be fed as much as they can eat, though I know not all cats are self-regulators (like Ritz!). This is a link that might help you figure out how much to feed a cat/kitten. I found this site enormously helpful when embarking (em-meowing?)...
Plastic bags are good. If you use plastic containers, you save space if all of them are the same shape and size, i.e., don't mix round and square ones. I feed prey model raw (not ground). I routinely buy meat reduced 30 to 50% because it is at its "sell by" date. Only once has Ritz turned up her nose after smelling the meat; since cats smeller is much better than humans, I trust her judgment. I do immediately freeze the meat, I don't leave it in the refrigerator...
Looks like he is waiting on you to hand feed him tiny shrimp