or Connect

Posts by Ritz

No, liver has its own requirement, around 5% weight, and is not enough to ensure a nutritionally complete diet. You must add a secreting organ like kidney (around 5%) and bone (around 10%) (80% protein). There are a lot of articles posted at the top of this forum, Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food. Please do some reading before embarking on raw feeding. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand how to do raw feeding, but you do need some common sense and info. In...
Wonderful. I volunteer at a cat sanctuary, who rescued a frozen cat (literally, almost) in February. There were dogs all around him and he didn't budge. Definitely hypothermic. "Popsicle" (renamed Bubble Boy) could not see or hear very well and hid. Fast forward nine months, and he is doing fine, sees, hears (though probably has a polyp in his ear canal), friendly, likes petting. Unfortunately, he is FeLK+, but will be well taken care of during his permanent stay at...
L-lysine is also available on Amazon. I volunteer at a cat sanctuary with around 90 cats, ranging from feral cats to socialized cats, to FIV+ and FeLK+ cats (housed separately of course). They all get some wet food around noon (free fed dry otherwise), which has been mixed with L-lysine. The cats can tell time, waiting by the door for their treat of wet food + lysine. It also comes in treat form.
Religious restriction may mean better prep of meat--but I was thinking more along the lines that because of religious dos/don'ts, you might be able to find a butcher who will grind the meat the way you want. Butchers in big chain grocery stores may not have the time/desire to do so.
Depending on where you live (shipping costs...) My Pet Carnivore might be an option. You could also try butcher shops that are geared towards patrons who have dietary (religious) restrictions, like Muslim and Judaism. Finally, check out farmers market. Many of them where I live have closed for the season, but check out year-round ones, but you may be able to find a source there. You may have to visit their farm, but it may be an option if the vendor is permitted by law...
Welcome to The Cat Site; sorry it's under these conditions. It does seem as though she is allergic to something. I see you're in BC--not exactly a warm climate especially this time of year, which is where I associate fleas. For a suspected food allergy, elimination diet is the go-to treatment, at least temporarily. Chicken is usually recommended--but it also appears your cat may be allergic to poultry/egg. I'd try feeding her a single source protein (read ingredients...
Welcome to The Cat Site. Where exactly did your fiance bring your adorable kitten from? A breeder? Rescue group? Depending on where he originated from (rescued from the streets), it is almost a 'given' that he has worms. Hard to say if a big tummy is normal (does it get bigger after he eats?) or due to worms. Has he been to the vets yet? (If Sheamus starts to act lethargic, then definitely vet time.)
For prey model raw, as well as most other types of raw feeding, I feed by weight, not volume.
Welcome to The Cat Site and I'm sorry it's under these conditions. Honestly, I think your cat needs to be seen by a vet--today if she still will not eat or seems more lethargic. The puking/not eating is alarming, especially in a kitten. Has she pooped recently and what did it look like? In my mind it's a little strange that she'll drink water but won't eat. I'm not sure what that means; if she didn't do either, I suspect nausea. Meanwhile try to get her to eat...
I feed Fed prey model raw, so I apologize if my reply isn't directly on point. I use a variety of plastic containers, most of which I pick up at thrift stores. I tend to have a three week supply in the freezer,one container per day. I feed around 3.5 ounces of meat, liver and kidney, so really small containers are fine.