or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Interesting, thanks for the background/information. That explains a lot. The animal communicator I used may very well have picked up anxiety on my part, which I *know* I transmit to Ritz, especially surrounding feeding issues. And I am perhaps *too* bonded with Ritz, I don't have enough emotional distance. Nevertheless, what the AC said spurred me on to get back into therapy (a long story....) which no doubt will help Ritz too in the long run. I'm a little...
(Your thread was moved from Nutrition to this subforum so you'll get more responses). I don't know much about supplementation and nothing about home made grind (I fed prey model raw), but I think this thread about salt/sodium might help you. For grinds (and commercial raw) that have 10% bone, yes, some cats find that too much and they get constipated. To lessen the percentage, you can simply add a little more meat/poultry, like a piece of chicken or beef. Here is a recent...
Ritz pees standing up about 80% of the time (17 inches high; yeah, I measured). Almost always has since I first adopted her almost five years ago. And she usually doesn't bury her pee though does bury her poop. I'm not sure why she does this--her background? She and her litter mates and mother cat were dumped with in November, and rescued in late December when they were around four months old. Ritz hates confinement of any type, which is why the box you linked wouldn't...
I'm sending your vibes and prayers, too. You could also put out his litter box, he might be drawn to the smell. (And hopefully no other animals). And some of your (dirty, smelly) clothing.
I agree--Felix is showing you what kind of food her prefers. I'd keep the old bag, just in case. I'd also read the ingredients with a magnifying glass (and, sometimes that's the only way you CAN read the ingredients) and see what the major differences are between the two foods. Though sometimes the tinest, least used/amount ingredient can be the culprit, like carrageenan.
Ritz jumps on my bed, usually I can feel it. Or if not, she simply stares at me, willing me to wake up! Or meows. This, at 3 a.m. in the morning. If it is 2:30, I say "it's too earrrlllyy". Honestly, I think she understands, and lets me sleep another 15 to 30 minutes. Sometimes she is in the mood for a cuddle. Other times, she'll wait while I'm doing some physical therapy exercises on the floor, comes over and ploops herself down beside me, exposing her belly for a...
I've used an animal communicator twice (same one), and found her insight (especially the first time) invaluable. She really keyed into Ritz' personality, and was dead on with some of her findings. She was fairly accurate/useful the second time, though perhaps not so much about food sensitivities and/or holistic remedies. I also used a homeopathic vet; his remedies also didn't work well. Both people were recommended to me by members of The Cat Site, and had more success...
I just came across this thread. Weird about the pooping--how is that going? Maybe she doesn't like the texture/smell of the litter or what she does poop on (floor/tile have a cleaning detergent smell)? Grasping at straws here. Ritz (female) pees standing up (has since I adopted her), and sometimes her urine goes OVER the tallest box I could find. Her litter box is in an unused shower stall, so not a big deal.
Thank you SO much for rescuing this cat. Prices vary depending on where you live. I would contact local rescue groups and find out who they use as their vet--maybe the vet will cut you a break on price, especially on spay/neuter. National Feral Day is around October 16--while this cat isn't feral, she is a rescue, so I'd check around for 'specials'. If you tell us where you live, we can help identify low cost s/n clinics. Some big box pet stores (PetCo, PetSmart where...
Can you test his urine on a regular basis? You can add l-methionine (which is what is in the Rx foods), but you MUST monitor the pH level of his urine. Otherwise, you run the risk of him developing Oxalate crystals which cannot be dissolved. Also, maybe I missed it, but how much water is he drinking. That is a/the key to preventing crystal formation. Hopefully people with more knowledge about preventing crystals will offer their opinion/advice.