or Connect

Posts by Ritz

I didn't see "Mittens" (male) for almost two weeks, so hang in there.
I fed a small community cat colony, in two locations, 1/4 mile apart. The bigger one (four or five cats) get Friskies wet food and dry food, though they seem to be getting pickier: they prefer Fancy Feast! Although sometimes well meaning people will leave out cooked whole chicken or macaroni or beans. I generally throw that away; cats must not eat cooked ones. At the other location, the cat I fed I also fostered for four months; we know each other well. He will eat...
I agree with Feralvr about the timing, and think it is a good idea to call the vet and clinic to see how late you can drop off the cat. Obviously not all cats are being spayed/neutered simultaneously; yet it seems the pick up time remains the same The biggest issue time wise is: is there enough time for the anesthesia to wear off and for the cat to seem at least somewhat aware of his/her surroundings, before the clinic/vet practice closes. Good luck!
A kitten I am fostering is just now deciding she likes the cardboard kind; it comes with its own . Before she liked an heirloom bedspread and mattress (: On the other hand, an adult cat I was fostering ONLY liked bark as a scratching surface (custom made cat tree with sisal and carpet)--perhaps because he had lived on the streets for such a long time.
Kittens can handle the smaller part of the wing with ease. They will digest the bone just as they digest the other food. A wing once a week makes a nice treat; you will know if that is too much if the cats' poop is really hard or, of course, if there is any blood. Yeah, calcium : phosphorus ratio makes my head spin too. I fed prey model raw ("frankenprey")--a combination of meat, a secreting and non-secreting organ, and bone. I would not be too concerned about the C:P...
I believe it use to be thought that you should avoid feeding fish to cats, especially male cats, because of the UTI/heavy metal issue. I think that is no longer the case (assuming no prior history of a UTI.) So I wouldn't worry so much about bonito flakes causing a UTI; I would be more concerned about whether he is getting enough of the other nutrients he needs.
First thank you for thinking of the cats. Generally, cats go where the food is; cats will go several streets over if necessary. If your neighbor is just down the same street, then I think the cats will soon find their way to the food. Remember too cats will go "as the crow flies"; in other words, the new location may be a few streets away, but there may be a more direct route via woods, around houses, across fields. I feed cats in two different locations, about 1/4...
I'm sorry you're having problems with this sweety. Two weeks ago, I rescued Dahalia from under a car where I use to live. She drank a LOT of water, ate little, peed small amounts frequently. I mentioned it to the clinic where I was going to have her spayed (I volunteer for the parent organization); they did a pre-anesthesia blood work, which should some elevated numbers, particularly BUN and Phosphorus. Recommended a complete CHEM test and urinalysis--possible kidney...
I am actually in a similar position. I do think you can spread yourself too thin among cats, especially when you are first trying to socialize them. One of the reasons I ended up 'fostering' Ritz was so her rescuer could spend more time with the other three she rescued (same litter). Depends upon the shelter in so far as how they will be treated. Make sure it is a truly no-kill shelter, that the shelter will keep the kitten/cat until she/he is adopted out or dies a...
I agree. Dahalia, the female kitten I rescued from under a car and am fostering, weighs 3.4 pounds and is around six months old. (Previously owned; super friendly) She ate very little the first five days and drank a lot of water. But she is now starting to eat more canned food when mixed with dry food. I have no hesitation giving her dry food in this case (nor does her vet) even though initial blood work indicated potentially serious problems with her kidneys. While...