or Connect

Posts by Ritz

This article appeared in todays (July 17th) edition of The Washington Post. The title says it all. And so do the 550 comments (so far), most of which are refuting the article and pointing out that even pure bred dogs/cats get sick. Ritz is a rescued cat, she and her litter mates were dumped in front of my condo building. She is relatively healthy, especially considering the first four to six months of her life she lived largely outside iand survived a 20 inch snow storm.
I'm so pleased you were able to trap two of the kittens. That's super. Some tricks I've used with success, all pertain to bait: dribble some tuna fish oil from the front of the trap to the bait. put some cat nip in or near the bait (after the trip 'wire'). Keep up the good work--and keep us posted.
She deserves the best medical care you can afford to give her. She already has a human she deserves: you. Vibes and prayers for you and Egypt.
I just saw this thread. Sorry for my late response. Thank you for helping this man and the many cats/kittens.When I needed to trap just one cat among many, I would feed the many, already TNRd cats, sitting beside them while they ate. And ate. And ate. If the cat I was trying to trap would come near, I would motion her away. Then much later, I would set out traps and hope the one I wanted got trapped. I would set out several traps to increase the odds. Plus there...
I think it is fairly common, especially in the transition stages. Time will tell (and, so will the litter box). Ritz loves beef (and goat, and chicken and quail and....). But she can't handle beef or dark meat on an empty stomach. The first couple of times she threw up, I kind of freaked. But she always wanted to eat right afterwards, including, um, the stuff she just threw up -- yuck!. Then I realized the connection, and now I feed her beef in the morning and chicken...
I guess I would wonder/ask if they are playing, eating and acting normally otherwise. Do they seem at all distressed about their poo? And, does your vet know anything about raw feeding? (My vet tends to blame every illness Ritz has on my feeding raw.) If their poo were smelly only when being fed beef, then that is your answer: avoid beef. But that their poo is also smelly on chicken (very different proteins), then I'd be a little worried too. I'd give it a day or two,...
Just a couple of thoughts, as I am late reading this thread. Liquid antibiotics: can be added to food. Can also be flavored by the pharmacist when filing the prescription. You could try adding a tiny bit of clam juice or tuna fish juice (packed in water) to the liquid antibiotics and then putting on wet food. According to the CDC, birds can't be carriers of rabies. Vibes for your cat and YOU: I know it's stressful.
I do think about this occasionally. My twin sister will/would look after Ritz should I die/be hospitalized for a long time. She smokes, so the environment isn't idea. But sure beats the alternative. And, I do really need to do a Pet Trust. (I am a legal secretary--I have no excuse not to.) When my mother died, my twin sister took over the care of Lovey (a dog), who had some serious medical issues. I was the executor of the estate, and my name was on my mother's...
The other option is to buy a different brand/flavor of commercial raw that doesn't contain cranberries and dilute the serving size, i.e., (for illustrative purposes only): feed 1/2 oz of Primal and 1/2 oz of RadCat.
I personally feed prey model raw so am not familiar with this brand, but I'd feed them the kind for dogs and a couple of times a week, give them (fresh) chicken hearts. Thought given the head of development's attitude, I might look for a different brand.....