or Connect

Posts by Ritz

I personally don't (I fed prey model raw) but a search in these forums yielded several threads you might find helpful. Here is one. Also check out some of the articles. I would follow the transition steps, hints; the principles are the same whether you're transitioning a kitten/cat from dry food to canned wet food; or dry food to raw. And be careful where and what kinds of fish you get; some have heavy metals in them. Ritz (female, adult) is prone to UTIs, so I avoid fish.
PS: one way I use to determine if the food has been enhanced is to look at the amount of sodium per serving. It should be under 100 mg; otherwise, the meat has been enhanced with salt and possibly sugar.
There was an episode on My Cat from Hell about a cat who drank a LOT of water, and I mean a LOT. I didn't see the conclusion, but I believe the diagnosis was OCD. You might google it and see what the diagnosis/fix was.
I'm so sorry. . . .
My vet doesn't charge either if it is part of an office visit. But I wouldn't take Ritz in just to get her claws clipped: too stressful for both of us.
I routinely buy chunks of meat from the grocery store. However, I rarely, if ever buy ground meat from a grocery store. Ground meat has more surface availability in which nasty bacteria can grow. Raw feeders differ about how much supplementation is needed/required/comfortable with. I only supplement prey model raw with quail eggs about three times a week. I also give Ritz probiotics every day.
I do believe cats are uncomfortable when their nails become too long. By too long I mean: when they get up from a sitting position and teeter/stumble a little because their claw(s) have gotton caught in the carpet. Or heaven forbid when they are scratching on the post, a claw gets caught, and they hang there. Ritz is at the point of the carpet. I usually am able to trim her claws when she is on my lap sleeping, in a REM sleep (her eyelids flutter, she jerks a little),...
I would trap him and take him to the vets--not only to have his bum taken care of, but perhaps for a general wellness check. An ounce of prevention.... He may need an updated rabies vaccination and deworming. He'll not like you in the morning, but will love you later on when he is feeling more comfortable. You might contact the organization/vet who TNRd him: they might offer low cost vet care for feral/stray cats. Also, unclear from my reading of your post: but if this...
If it costs money just to keep him alive versus improving his quality of life, then I think it is reasonable to consider the finances into the equation. Money can't buy quality, only, quantity. I think the most unselfish action a pet owner can take is to put an end to suffering, even knowing you will be suffering the most after Fernimal is gone. I would have a frank, honest discussion with your vet about your concerns. PS: if you do decide to euthanize, consider having...
Authority grain free chicken dry food has 380 calories per measuring cup ('weight control' has around 346, generally more carbs less protein and fat, which is the opposite of what cats need. Most wet foods do list the caloric content on the labels. You might try phasing out the dry all together and feeding instead Wellness. So, yeah, it's possible you may have to reduce the amount of calories you give your cat. Or, maybe get her to play more. I know it's hard getting a...