Mouser

Mainer

Salem
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure where to post this but was wondering if anyone else has awakened to a mouse 🐭 corpse on their floor 😢 My younger cat is a feisty one and my older cat is slowing down but still has a kitten nature. Once before I was able to rescue a mouse who was struggling to get away from my two hunters but this time I didn’t hear anything. Last time I heard him/her crying out, this time I didn’t. There was no blood just the body of this poor little rodent. I’m wondering if perhaps he/she had a heart attack out of fear. Is this possible? There were tufts of fur all about the kitchen. Any tussling I heard I thought it was just my two doing what they normally do whilst I sleep.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had a mouse "gift" but garter snakes and an attempt at a full size rabbit (got to that before it was in the house). I'm always a bit impressed when the domestic cats can catch stuff! Good instincts! But yes... it can be a little sad too. Mouse was just mousin'.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no mice in my apartment but we get bugs graycie dropped a big live Jerusalem cricket (potatoe bug) onto my chest. while i was dozing on the couch one morning during the summer. i ended up keeping it as a pet for a few months.graycie also likes to catch and drop live sewer roaches at gf's feet teaching her to hunt maybe?:lol:it worked i guess since gf can kill them now

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
no mice in my apartment but we get bugs graycie dropped a big live Jerusalem cricket (potatoe bug) onto my chest. while i was dozing on the couch one morning during the summer. i ended up keeping it as a pet for a few months.graycie also likes to catch and drop live sewer roaches at gf's feet teaching her to hunt maybe?:lol:it worked i guess since gf can kill them now
Eww... roaches... 🪳 I'm glad I live somewhere where they don't!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats usually kill their prey by biting the back of the neck. This cuts off the air supply and can break the neck of smaller prey like mice. They don't need to break the skin, which is why you might not see any bite marks or blood.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we lived in a wooded area mice would get in the house. You'd wake up in the morning with a dead mouse on the bed or mouse lungs and kidneys on the kitchen floor.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last night Indy killed a huge centipeide (i hate those things, too many legs) then procieded to eat it right in front of me. I would have rathered it been a mouse.

Last edited: