Look who's reading TCS tonight! 😄

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't think it'd make the journey too well from Victoria to la-la land, but...🥒 (Yes, we have no zucchini emoticons)(But I also love cucumbers, unlike a lot of cats, who are terrified of them for some unknown reason)
I've heard a theory that they think the cucumber is a snake

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard a theory that they think the cucumber is a snake
Yes, that seems to be the usual explanation, plus the sudden appearance startles them (when stupid owners deliberately frighten them with one). My two have never seen one, I only have cucumbers on the bench being cut up or in the fridge. Deliberately frightening a cat, ugh.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that seems to be the usual explanation, plus the sudden appearance startles them (when stupid owners deliberately frighten them with one). My two have never seen one, I only have cucumbers on the bench being cut up or in the fridge. Deliberately frightening a cat, ugh.
Yeah, that's *unprintable on TCS* but you KNOW my reaction to THAT.:fuming::bat:🤬:fireblob:

THIS is a SNAKE(Slither, a Pine-Gopher snake, in the Mojave. Love her!) See any resemblance whatsoever to a cucumber?
Yeah. Me neither.
IMG_0999.JPG

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful snake! I've never handled a snake, but I'd like to.

When you think of it, a wand toy looks and moved more like a snake, but cats aren't fright of them. So goodness knows what it is about cucumbers that scares them.

I think I have to get up now. 9am and someone is demanding breakfast! 😸

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When you think of it, a wand toy looks and moved more like a snake, but cats aren't fright of them. So goodness knows what it is about cucumbers that scares them.

(S)he (not sure of gender) was living on her land when we bought the beautiful place. I loved her! She grew to be about 7' long, I'd estimate, and I asked my ex to ask the buyers to please let her live and leave her alone, as she was non-venomous and her prey was the packrats and mice living there in and around the barn compound. I never handled her as she was a "wild" snake, but I admired her! She stayed in and around the chickens' compound and yard, never harmed them and used to go straight up the metal wall of the barn stall to the shop lights, because she caught prey up there. I'd see her all over the place including in the cats' compound. She never harmed them and they never harmed her, as far as I know.
IMG_0942.JPG

Here she is going up inside one of the modular cat houses. IDK what they thought of her? Or she of them?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tbh I'm afraid of snakes (blame the boa constrictor at college, years ago, basically it took pleasure in trying to bite students when any unsuspecting students got too close)

I haven't tried my girls with seeing a cucumber, I do know that Willow is literally frightened of pasta - any shape, spaghetti I can understand (it looks like worms and I do say to the girls they don't want wormies, when I deworm them ❤

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Just thought, maybe it's the smell of them ?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet knows the food (Purina Weight Loss) and Daisy's on 45g a day - they calculated the amount, and it's been reduced from what she started on. Hasn't made a jot of difference, she's still gaining.

Her water intake isn't a problem. She drinks freely. The zucchini idea was because it acts as an almost calorie -free filler to sate them. The vet thought if she'd eat it, I could reduce the food to 40g. But I doubt it's going to work, after today's reaction. Plus I'm a bit worried about cutting her food too much, because iirc cats who aren't getting enough will build up fat reserves in self-defence. Not that she even eats her whole 45g a day anyway. Poor baby- so not food driven, but she's the one with the weight problem.

But whatever my concerns, she's a happy purrer right now!

View attachment 476768
I just thought: could there be a medical problem that's causing her to gain weight?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought: could there be a medical problem that's causing her to gain weight?
I have wondered if megacolon could be behind it, but that seems more likely to cause weight loss (and hers is well under control at present, she hasn't had constipation since August 2022). The vets don't seem to have any idea, but also don't seem overly concerned, which is a bit odd.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tbh I'm afraid of snakes (blame the boa constrictor at college, years ago, basically it took pleasure in trying to bite students when any unsuspecting students got too close)

I haven't tried my girls with seeing a cucumber, I do know that Willow is literally frightened of pasta - any shape, spaghetti I can understand (it looks like worms and I do say to the girls they don't want wormies, when I deworm them ❤
Sorry about that, tiggerwillow tiggerwillow . The boa's bite wouldn't have been much to fear, though -- they're constrictors and they squeeze their prey. Not pleasant, but it's nature.
Wormies? Yeah, it's been described that way. Fortunately, Elvis doesn't really see pasta when I have it, as it's either away in the cupboard, on the stove, or on my dinner tray ;) so I'm not sure what his reaction to it would be. Probably a big "MEH!"
IMG_0877.JPG

Elvis is more interested in reading the NEIGHBORHOOD CAT NEWS than thinking about servants' food. :bluecat:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry about that, tiggerwillow tiggerwillow . The boa's bite wouldn't have been much to fear, though -- they're constrictors and they squeeze their prey. Not pleasant, but it's nature.
Wormies? Yeah, it's been described that way. Fortunately, Elvis doesn't really see pasta when I have it, as it's either away in the cupboard, on the stove, or on my dinner tray ;) so I'm not sure what his reaction to it would be. Probably a big "MEH!"
View attachment 477406
Elvis is more interested in reading the NEIGHBORHOOD CAT NEWS than thinking about servants' food. :bluecat:
With Willow, its ANY shape of pasta she doesn't like, she's even afraid of the penne pasta and whatever the spiral one is, and the conchywhatsit one, as well as spaghetti, so I'm not sure why she finds all of the shapes scary, she gets frantic when I'm eating it cause she wants it to be known that PASTA EATS CATS :lol: :catrub:

I know boa constrictors wrap round things, that one was bad tempered and took pleasure in biting students, just cause it had teeth

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Willow, its ANY shape of pasta she doesn't like, she's even afraid of the penne pasta and whatever the spiral one is, and the conchywhatsit one, as well as spaghetti, so I'm not sure why she finds all of the shapes scary, she gets frantic when I'm eating it cause she wants it to be known that PASTA EATS CATS :lol: :catrub:

I know boa constrictors wrap round things, that one was bad tempered and took pleasure in biting students, just cause it had teeth
WOW. I firmly believe in learning something new every day. Thanks for giving me two new things. :lolup: I'll be a lot more careful about my pasta from now on. 😑🍝🙀