Litter help! Looking for low dust

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, even the naturals concern me. Why I am still using Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief despite occasionally getting one with more dust. The potential of pesticides. I asked a couple companies about pesticides. Their reply was they do not tell the farmers how to grow the product.Yikes! The Cassava plant contains cyanide.Do they remove that? How.? Cats are walking on litter and licking their paws.As far as bugs in the corn litter, it was a lot of bugs JEEZ.
Heat kills cynaide compounds. That's why things like nut shells can be used as litter too.

There's dangers with any litter. Clay is also toxic to lick off their feet...some cats are just able to tolerate it better. 🙃

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could not say. I have not tried Ultra. I scoop it from a container as I need it, I don't pour it. The company says it is. So I don't know I find it different then others I've used. Could it be a marketing ploy? Sure, because like you mentioned there is not much difference in ingredients. Izzy has asthma, so she was ready to cough up a lung on others I used. I had to use her rescue inhaler more than I would like or is recommended. Using this litter I am giving her the prescribed maintenance inhaler twice a day, and rarely using her rescue inhaler which is preferred.
Well that is encouraging that Izzy seems to do better on the Respiratory formula compared to other brands you have tried. Maybe the "essences" help too. I may need to give it a try.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Which brand of grass seed litter do you use and like?
I’ve been buying Abound because it’s less expensive than SmartCat and seems the same. I’ve never had any problem with my cats trying to eat it, and I’ve used it with several cats. But they’ve all been adults. Kittens might be a different story.

Transitioning them from clay to any of the softer, natural litters takes time. They tend to freak out a bit when they step on the grass litter because they sink into it. When I switched from Dr. Elsey’s Ultra to grass, I did it over a period of weeks, adding the grass and mixing it in well when the level in the box dropped. By the time it was all grass, they were fine with it.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heat kills cynaide compounds. That's why things like nut shells can be used as litter too.

There's dangers with any litter. Clay is also toxic to lick off their feet...some cats are just able to tolerate it better. 🙃
I did not know that. Interesting. I don’t use clay litter but that is good to know.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well that is encouraging that Izzy seems to do better on the Respiratory formula compared to other brands you have tried. Maybe the "essences" help too. I may need to give it a try.
I don't know, but if its not broke don't fix it!.I was actually on the hunt to get rid of clay.That is why I tried the corn etc.I said it before there is no perfect litter( or anything else for that matter ,including me!) But my girl is what is most important. I hope you can find something that at least mostly works for you. For the time being I am staying with what I am currently using.Years ago there was no litter,but with all these house cats you need litter. I could go outside and dig up some dirt, but with my luck I'd bring in slugs or something really not good for Izzy. So I will pass on that idea!

Bellspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats gets runny eyes (which 3 vets have said there’s no issue, they are just watery). I changed from clay to walnut and the walnut is so dusty.

What your recommendations for low dust? I’d prefer not to use clay all together

thanks!
I am a cat breeder and I use pine pellets from tractor supply they are cheap and zero dust or chemicals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not, but a few days after I started using Abound grass seed litter, my cat started itching like crazy and got a resp infection.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not, but a few days after I started using Abound grass seed litter, my cat started itching like crazy and got a resp infection.
Does the drying process alter any potential allergens? I don't know. As reported here one person likes/ as success with one, other really likes that litter. Unfortunately , they are trial and error Could maybe be your cat already had an upper respiratory brewing? I've had that, with no idea why she got URI.