I Am Close To Tears

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how such small creatures loom large in our hearts. About a month ago, a 4 month old grey striped tabby was caught in the live trap our landlord keeps on the property to catch predators that prey on his rabbits & chickens. The kitten was frightened and when I released her, she turned out to be a little sweetheart and I instantly fell in love with her. As an added bonus, Belle seemed interested in being friends with the kitten. We took the stray to the vet to check for a chip. As she had one, the vet had to turn her over to the animal shelter to contact her owner. Turned out the owner was acquainted with my wife. The owner was going to abandon the kitten because there was a fee to get her back. We wanted to adopt her and there was a waiting period to give to give the owner time to change their mind. They did.

Today, we found out the owner took the kitten out to the farmlands and abandoned her. The resident cat was bullying the kitten. The owner didn't want to pay the $150 surrender fee and took out to the farmlands and dumped her so "She would be safe". We went out to the dump site and searched for her, but no luck. I am heartbroken and having a hard time fighting back the tears. I keep imagining the terror that little girl must have felt when she was abandoned by the human into whose care she was entrusted. I am beyond angry.

When we got home, I picked up Belle and held her close. She doesn't much like being held or getting her coat wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it worth persistently trying to go to the dump site with treats & such? You are a saint for trying to save her!
I'd say so. However I'm leaving on on a trip to Moab tomorrow after work and won't be back till Tuesday. There are a few scattered homes in the area. I hope the kitten shows up on someone's door step looking for a meal and a bed.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I’m so sorry. People like this are so awful and I absolutely hate them (I have much more choice words for such people but don’t want to get in trouble with the mods :angel:) Really hope you can find her if you go back looking again.

JimDep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's amazing how such small creatures loom large in our hearts. About a month ago, a 4 month old grey striped tabby was caught in the live trap our landlord keeps on the property to catch predators that prey on his rabbits & chickens. The kitten was frightened and when I released her, she turned out to be a little sweetheart and I instantly fell in love with her. As an added bonus, Belle seemed interested in being friends with the kitten. We took the stray to the vet to check for a chip. As she had one, the vet had to turn her over to the animal shelter to contact her owner. Turned out the owner was acquainted with my wife. The owner was going to abandon the kitten because there was a fee to get her back. We wanted to adopt her and there was a waiting period to give to give the owner time to change their mind. They did.

Today, we found out the owner took the kitten out to the farmlands and abandoned her. The resident cat was bullying the kitten. The owner didn't want to pay the $150 surrender fee and took out to the farmlands and dumped her so "She would be safe". We went out to the dump site and searched for her, but no luck. I am heartbroken and having a hard time fighting back the tears. I keep imagining the terror that little girl must have felt when she was abandoned by the human into whose care she was entrusted. I am beyond angry.

When we got home, I picked up Belle and held her close. She doesn't much like being held or getting her coat wet.
I sure hope you get your kitten back. It's appalling to me that the people who had her chipped wouldn't have reached out to you first before dumping the kitten off somewhere. They went through the expense and trouble to have her chipped and then do this ? The could have at least run an ad for a free kitten on Craigs List. I'd be really upset too if I were you. I hope you can make a trip back over there and look for her again. Ask God for help.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry and I completely understand how heartbroken you are about this. It is sadly what some people believe to be a solution for cats; that belief that they will be safer and can manage themselves in a very rural area.

Keep looking as best you can. Years ago a cousin in Florida lost her entire house in a hurricane, with the cat inside when the hurricane struck. She found the cat two weeks later on the beach scared, but still alive.