2024 Feline Birthday & Gotcha Day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very Happy 4th Gotcha Day to LC, aka Stubby! :celebrate: :bunnydance: Do you have a pic of her to share? :camera:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bob is our latest, rescued from a hoarding situation and ending up at our local shelter. I thought he may have been the victim of a backyard breeding situation, since he is a purebred cat. Now I wonder if someone just had lots and lots of animals. He was around five months old when we got him, which would put his birthday in May! He was DH's answer to my German Shepherd.

The shelter worker told us that they hadn't had him long, and couldn't tell us much about him. They said that he wasn't adjusting well at the shelter. You could smell Bob before you could see him in a little cage at the back of the cat room. The other cats and kittens were friendly, coming to the front of their cages for pets and sweet talk. Bob was scared and anti-social. DH said he looked at Bob and thought, "That is one sad cat. He has given up."

Can you spot Bob in the picture I took at the shelter?

1000000062.jpg

Now look at him, my handsome fellow. I am really proud of DH for giving Bob a chance at the happiness he deserves. He loves our other cats (he thinks Bree is his mom) and his new life. When DH went back to review Bob's labs, the shelter manager told DH she was glad that we were the ones that adopted Bob. So are we. He is such a blessing. :redheartpump:

1000000209.jpg

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob is our latest, rescued from a hoarding situation and ending up at our local shelter. I thought he may have been the victim of a backyard breeding situation, since he is a purebred cat. Now I wonder if someone just had lots and lots of animals. He was around five months old when we got him, which would put his birthday in May! He was DH's answer to my German Shepherd.

The shelter worker told us that they hadn't had him long, and couldn't tell us much about him. They said that he wasn't adjusting well at the shelter. You could smell Bob before you could see him in a little cage at the back of the cat room. The other cats and kittens were friendly, coming to the front of their cages for pets and sweet talk. Bob was scared and anti-social. DH said he looked at Bob and thought, "That is one sad cat. He has given up."

Can you spot Bob in the picture I took at the shelter?

View attachment 476213

Now look at him, my handsome fellow. I am really proud of DH for giving Bob a chance at the happiness he deserves. He loves our other cats (he thinks Bree is his mom) and his new life. When DH went back to review Bob's labs, the shelter manager told DH she was glad that we were the ones that adopted Bob. So are we. He is such a blessing. :redheartpump:

View attachment 476215
Bob is ADORABLE! We had a similar situation two locations ago. I've never known what the background was, but some of the cats we rescued from that community looked like possible offspring of "purebred" cats. Anyway, in our situation and in yours, so glad they found love, comfort, good care, and safety!!! :redheartpump: :dizzycat::redheartpump::goldstar::loveeyes:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, thank you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . It didn't matter to DH (or me) that Bob is a breed cat. DH felt sorry for him and still isn't quite convinced that someone cut off Bob's tail. We love to watch him walk - he looks like a gorilla walking on its knuckles, with his butt up in the air. He is a very sweet cat. I fell in love with him as soon as we brought him home. He has a double coat like a Husky, and at first it was like bristles. Now it as soft as silk. DH warned me about going online to search for arrests made, because he knew it would upset me. The only big raid I found at the time happened in Texas. The rescued dogs and cats were sent all over the US. :eek2:

I am glad you were able give those cats a happy home. Elvis is beautiful, BTW. I especially love the second "Why are you taking pictures of me" photo. It certainly called for closer inspection. Then there is the third, "I don't like this posing for the camera business. But at least I can sleep well knowing the pictures won't be posted on the Internet for everyone to see." :lol:

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . It didn't matter to DH (or me) that Bob is a breed cat. DH felt sorry for him and still isn't quite convinced that someone cut off Bob's tail. We love to watch him walk - he looks like a gorilla walking on its knuckles, with his butt up in the air. He is a very sweet cat. I fell in love with him as soon as we brought him home. He has a double coat like a Husky, and at first it was like bristles. Now it as soft as silk. DH warned me about going online to search for arrests made, because he knew it would upset me. The only big raid I found at the time happened in Texas. The rescued dogs and cats were sent all over the US. :eek2:

I am glad you were able give those cats a happy home. Elvis is beautiful, BTW. I especially love the second "Why are you taking pictures of me" photo. It certainly called for closer inspection. Then there is the third, "I don't like this posing for the camera business. But at least I can sleep well knowing the pictures won't be posted on the Internet for everyone to see." :lol:
I work in cat advocacy and often a cat will show obvious signs of trauma, of various kinds, origin unknown. There are HBC (hit by car) cats and yes, there are survivors of human violence. Sometimes the origin is known, sometimes not. Of course it infuriates, enrages, upsets, stresses and saddens me no end. But as this work is heartrending at best, I have a mantra that I use, along the lines of, "Well, but the GOOD part is that they are now SAFE in care, and hopefully soon to be in a loving permanent home." I've had a lot of trauma in my own life and I use that to deal with my own emotional health. We can't undo the past. My beliefs are that everyone doing any kind of evil act will absolutely be brought to Justice. Those victims of these devils -- for they are devils -- who do not survive on earth, definitely are in the Best Loving Care always and have no memory of the bad experiences. Those who do survive on this earth and who are rescued, start the journey to wellness, comfort, best care, and love. These are the things I always focus on.
Yes, Elvis is "a character," according to his dad, from whom I adopted him 7 years ago when he rehomed him due to an allergic fiancee.
He's PURRsonality Plus.
As for Bob, yes, you'll never know. Perhaps it was a traumatic "accidental" injury. The important thing is that you found him! :redheartpump: :yess: